The tasks of the Doctoral Committee are based on the provisions of the ETH Zürich [RS ETHZ 340.31]. The Doctoral Committee is composed of at least three professors elected by the Department’s Conference.
The D-MTEC Doctoral Committee's competences encompass the following:
- Admission applications from doctoral candidates presented for a statement by the Rector’s office
- Proposal and approval of additional qualifying exams for PhD applicants in cooperation with the dissertation supervisors
- Approval of chairperson of the examination committee
- Approval of research plans
- Approval of external doctoral studies
- Approval of external co-supervisors
- Approval of external dissertation (outside the ETH domain)
- Approval of credit points earned outside the ETH domain
- Award nominations presented by D-MTEC professors (as supervisor of the doctoral thesis) for concluded theses; the decision of the Professors Conference is submitted afterwards to the Rector’s office as a suggestion of the department
- Elaboration of guidelines for doctoral studies
The Doctoral Committee is supported by a doctoral program administrator, “Doctoral administration office D-MTEC”.
Members of the Doctoral Committee (“Doktoratsausschuss”) of the Department D-MTEC are: